Downtown’s Container Park is a collection of retail shops, restaurants, and bars right on Fremont Street kiddie corner from El Cortez. A concept dreamed up by The Downtown Project, the Container Park opened in 2013 and is comprised of repurposed shipping containers that serve as a home to resident businesses.
In addition to the unique assortment of retail and dining options, the Container Park is also home to a large “tree house” playground with an impressive 33-foot slide and giant foam blocks to engage your kid’s imagination. A stage near the back of the park provides live entertainment to include karaoke weekly.
The main attraction, however, is the fire shooting praying mantis near the front of the Container Park. When show time arrives, the enormous animatronic praying mantis moves and shoots fire out of its antennae. Using liquid propane as it’s fuel, the show is powerful… and hotter than Hades.
Like other free Las Vegas shows, the fire shooting performance is choreographed to music. As one of the better free shows in Vegas, we recommend making the trip to check it out!
What time does the Container Park’s Praying Mantis Shoot Fire?
Here’s the thing, there are no set show times. Currently, the fire show is only running on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The first show of the night is at 7:45 pm and is initiated with a drum circle. After the initial performance, shows occur randomly but occur relatively frequently until 10 pm on Thursday and until midnight on Friday and Saturday. Our advice? Grab a couple of drinks, settle in, and wait for the fire to start.
Other Tips, Tricks, and Things to do at the Container Park
- Coming with your girlfriend or wife? Bring an old lock from home and add it to the “love lock” collection. If you aren’t able to find space on the heart out front, there is an overflow love lock wall in the back corner near the live event stage.
- Karaoke night goes down on Tuesdays from 7 pm – 10 pm. Whether you are looking to belt out some lines, or prefer to sit back and watch people embarrass themselves, it’s a good time! We also put together a full list of karaoke options in Vegas here.
- Those of you that prefer healthy activities in Vegas may enjoy the yoga classes that are a mainstay at the Downtown Container Park. Yoga in the Park takes place every Saturday and Sunday from 9:20 am – 10:20 am and costs $9 per session. Double-check your dates on the events calendar here. Note that there are also a number of other unique yoga classes in Las Vegas!
- Go during happy hour! Some bars in the Container park run regular drink specials. We listed them, along with other downtown drink deals/happy hours here that are worth a look!
- Container Park is one of the few “kid-friendly” spots downtown Las Vegas. Let them stretch their legs on the playground, and catch some fresh air.